Are You a Carer?
You would be surprised how many there are and all perform a critical role in the community supporting relatives, neighbours and friends to stay well in their own home. This might be the care a relative offers to a family member with dementia who needs help with meals or picking up their medication. In another situation a neighbour might be supporting their next door neighbour with a physical disability to manage their weekly shop. A forgotten group of carers are children who are may be administering medication to a parent who has visual disability. Many carers do not recognise the critical role that they are performing and they themselves may need information, guidance or support. Help is at hand! Nunwell Surgery is working in partnership with Herefordshire Carers Support (HCS) which is the appointed NHS Herefordshire organisation to assist carers in a number of ways:
(1) Encouraging all carers to recognise themselves and then sign up to the Herefordshire Carers Support database which will then offer them regular written information on what help is available to them now or in the future (The carer is free to opt in or out of the database and what is available at any time).
(2) We are delighted that a member of Herefordshire Carer Support has joined our local Patient Participation Group.
(3) Participation of a professional member of the Herefordshire Carers Support Team in our regular care planning meetings where GPs, District Nurses, Social Workers etc meet to co-ordinate our efforts and optimise the multi-disciplinary support to patients and their families and/or carers.
We think this is a key area of activity where we can help our patients, users and carers remain safely supported in the community. So please sign up and help us all make a difference together.
Please print and complete the form below so that both Nunwell Surgery and Herefordshire Carers Support can register you as a carer. Alternatively please ask at our reception desk and we will give you the forms to complete.
There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring.
Contact Carers Direct
- Telephone: 0808 802 0202
- Helpline Information: http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/carerslives/updates/pages/carersdirecthelpline.aspx
- Email: CarersDirect@nhschoices.nhs.uk
- Office Hours: Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines.
Carers Support Groups